Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Grinding



Grinding…


…I am certainly doing it.


I sort of fell in to the lifestyle. But, upon present assessment, I am generally glad that I had.


Dreaming was not really getting me anywhere and was mostly causing disappointment. Instead of dreaming, I have grasped my own real satisfaction via a two-step process.





First, I needed to refocus a bit, primarily, on determining what obtainable things deliver me the most pleasure in life. Which I identify as working out, reading, writing, learning, moderate craft beer enjoyment, and a growing amateur radio hobby.



And step two: I had to imagine the enjoyment of those things, and life in general, on a broader scale.


In my experience, I have found that I have constantly been chasing ultimately-unsatisfying excesses because I was never certain of what tomorrow offered.


I had to work out as hard as possible each day because of the thought that some glorious opportunity requiring superior conditioning would be offered any of the following days.


I had to study for every possible exam because one of them, any of them, would be the exam that reveals the path to a fantasized profession of my dreams.


Always preparing. For something. Anything. Well, for nothing really.


I just needed to take a step back. And, upon doing so, I see that I am in a really good spot.


I needed a plan, and one that required much less dreaming.


My job is beginning to become a career. My current area of residence is slowly turning to “where I live.”


And so I grind.


I do good but not extraordinary work. But I am making career progress. Promotions are likely and follow-on opportunities will no doubt present themselves in time.


No need for upheaval. The desire to find a new job, relocation, or experience some other change in order to discover full enjoyment in life is unfounded.


I can obtain all that right here. Now, and in the future.


I am going to begin to invest modestly, making monthly contributions to my employer-matched retirement fund.


As mentioned previously, I have plans to adopt a cat. Events have mostly stabilized and I could use a little buddy with whom to hang out through the long run.



Once I can afford to do so, I will probably move closer to work. Ideally, somewhere in northern Virginia. And I don’t imagine that it will be many years before I utilize a VA loan to invest in a house.


So, life is good. A grind. And not exactly what I expected. But certainly good nonetheless. I am healthy and secure, and with sufficient means to keep from wanting for much.


And happy? Attainment of such, I have found, is a matter of perspective. Perspective, of which I now thankfully enjoy.




1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you are finding yourself and in doing that you are also finding some happiness and contentment.
    I also know that, given the opportunity, you will re-up into active service with the Army. I know that would make you happy also.
    Either way the emotion is the same....hopefully satisfaction.
    You are heading in the right direction.
    I am happy.

    ReplyDelete